Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Today was a very long day....

Today we got up around normal time 8:00am or so, had breakfast and got ready for what i thought wouldn't be too bad of a day. My husband (Nate) calls me before we are ready and grouches about me being still at home and that he hates that i'm never early always on time or late.. yada yada! LOL He also warned me that the winds are really bad, and it will probably slow me down. So we leave and the winds were not bad at all, until i got closer to Fort Wayne, which is 30 minutes from my house. On the way down i keep hearing about tornado warnings but there still wasn't one in Fort Wayne, so i stop for gas because i know i won't make it all the way to the hospital without it. Then after i get gas the rain starts and the closer i get to my dads to drop off Kelsee the worse it gets. By the time i get to my dads i hear over the radio that there is a funnel cloud in the sky spotted by the radar in New haven which is about 10 minutes or so from my dads. I get out of the car and the tornado siren is going off....ahhhhh then i freak! I get the kids in the house and find Rita (my dads girlfriend/best friend) and i ask her why she is not worried about watching the weather and listening for the siren? LOL She tells me i sound like her daughter but maybe its cause we are worried about it, and she'd rather watch the weather come in then worry about it...guess that's an older person's way of looking at it! LOL So i then decided that i was going to cancel the appointment Tyler has at the hospital and wait on hold for about 15 minutes or so, by then everything had calmed down and Rita's daughter is on the phone saying i should just go it is fine over in the area where the hospital is. So i get Tyler and go since i can't get anyone at the hospital on the phone, we showed up a half hour late and the people at the front desk send me to an elevator that looks like a house to go to Pediatric floor. I stand there for about 10 minutes and a few people came and waited but left, little did i know the elevator was down due to power being out in part of the hospital. So i go to another elevator and it works, then i get up there and have no idea where to go......a nice man helped me half of the way, but then i pass the house elevator and go through a door and again am lost and there's no lights on. Another nice man came out the doors i was supposed to go through and helped me figure out where to go. Its even darker in the Pediatric outpatient office...and there's no one there to register Tyler. About 10 minutes go by and finally the registration lady is back, she registers Tyler all by hand of course because there's no power and at this point they were saying it would still be down for 30-45 minutes. Then after all the paperwork was filed out she took us downstairs to the lab hallway, where i waited another 5 minutes or so for that lady to come. So by now i've been at the hospital for about 30 or so minutes and Tyler is getting antsy sitting in one place, then the lady explains what the Sweat test (chloride test) is for and how its done, and tells me we'll have to wait 30 minutes after she gets it started. YIPPEE! The lady cleans Tylers left arm, and places to electrodes to his arm (negative and positive) and leaves it on which is hooked to some machine for 5 minutes. When she takes them off the one closest to his arm left a red square which is normal, then she cleaned his arm again and put a piece of gauze over the red square on his arm and wraps several pieces of tape over it, so that no air can get in. Then she says it must be taken off in exactly 30 minutes, so i set an alarm on my phone for 1:20pm and went down to the cafeteria for some food to keep Tyler occupied. We finally left the hospital about 1:45pm, so we were there for almost 2 hours. Tyler and I got back to my dads to get Kelsee at 2pm, and i totally spaced on their 2 o'clock appointment at the pediatricians office for shots and and ear recheck for Kelsee, until 2:40pm. So i call the office and they were still able to get an appointment for the kids at 3pm, so i rush over there and was 5 minutes late and then waited another 10 minutes or so to be seen. Kelsee's ear's both look great no infection! Tyler did well with both his shots, and got a spiderman band aid and a bumble bee (from Transformers) band aid.
Here's a look at his spider man one before bed, he'd already torn the other one off. I tried to get a picture of the gunk on his arm that the tape left behind but it wouldn't come out good! Back to the appointment...Kelsee was next for a flu shot, and boy did she not want that shot. The whole time we were waiting for the doctor to come in, she kept saying and even cried at one time, i don't want a flu shot. But with her going to preschool i really think its safer for her to be protected. The nurse comes in the room, and Kelsee hides under the desk, i get her out and put her on the table and she's seen the shot. The nurse and i had to hold her down and take her pants down for her, so that she could get her shot on her thigh....wow what a nightmare that was. She almost kicked the nurse in the face and i'm sure the nurses ears were ringing when she got done with Kelsee's shot. Finally the day was coming to an end, and we were on our way home around 4:15pm. We came home got Nate and went to dinner with some family, dinner was oh so delicious and the kids behaved fairly decently! It was great to see family that we hadn't seen most of the year but by 8pm we were all ready to get out of there and head home. The kids were in bed almost as soon as we got home but before they went to bed Tyler played a little while Kelsee got ready!So glad the day finally ended, tomorrow i will hopefully find out the results of the Cystic Fibrosis test! Sorry this was so long, i hope i didn't bore everyone who read it!


  1. What a day you had! It definatly wasn't boring.. lol Glad you guys are safe, saw all that storm junk on the news and was kinda worried about y'all... I'll have Jona call around soon, just to say hi. ^.^

  2. By the way, I just deleted that account, this is the one I use normally. Hug the kids for us!